It’s hard to believe that, in the 4 years since our last reunion, we’ve lived through a pandemic and so many losses around the world and in our own communities. This has been a time to reconsider what’s most important in our lives.
That is why I have decided that, after 15 years producing the website, managing our mailing lists, administering social media accounts, and coordinating the most recent alumni reunion, it is time to pass the volunteer baton to the next generation. There is so much more I’d like to do, but so little free time to do it.
We are looking for one or more alumni/ae volunteers to take the batons in three roles: as reunion coordinator, content producer/editor, and/or digital developer/designer. I have included an overview of the work, below, and I have created a form so you can express your interest by October 15. We’ll get back to everyone in November and I envision a transition into 2023.
Due to the time it takes to get familiar with our diverse, multi-generational community — and the communication platforms we use — I hope the next volunteer(s) will make a commitment of at least 3-5 years to this work and be independent learner(s), since I expect I will have limited time for support.
As for me, even though I only worked at GBH for about 5 years, I have truly enjoyed getting to know so many alumni from all generations: from the 1950s to the 2020s.
Thank you for all of your support over the years!
- Recruit and coordinate team to plan reunion. Team roles:
- Develop program/schedule for the day.
- Serve as liaison to the station/venue.
- Coordinate caterer.
- Work with GBH for videos, graphics, lanyards, etc.
- Define and track tasks, owners, and deadlines along critical path.
- Approximate time commitment: 5-11 hours per month in the 18 months before reunion, 3-7 hours per week in the month before reunion, 12-15 hours on day of the reunion, 3-5 hours per week in the 4 weeks after the reunion.
- Architect the website for alumni engagement and ease of use (WordPress).
- Request and receive submissions for alumni stories. Edit for clarity and style.
- Update alumni profiles, as requested.
- Research, commission, select, and prepare images and graphics to accompany posts.
- Coordinate transcription and editing of long-format interviews (Rev.com).
- Monitor and edit comments. Edit and approve comments from those who’ve not commented previously.
- Administer social media accounts. Write, edit, and/or monitor posts and comments.
- Maintain digital and paper records of alumni resources.
- Respond to requests for personal correspondence between alumni.
- Approximate time commitment: 3-7 hours per month.
- Future: Expand communications to Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, more.
- Manage and maintain web hosting and production stack: cloud server, CMS, plug-ins, templates, back-ups, security. (Current WordPress instance can be transferred to a new developer’s hosting account or they can build a new site. The DNS entries will then be pointed to the new host server.)
- Define and apply interface design patterns: fonts, palettes, shapes, responsive interface for tablets and mobile.
- Update and apply taxonomies, including categories, automatic tagging, series, and related posts.
- Develop online forms and manage file storage and sharing (Google).
- Maintain mailing list (MailChimp).
- Current approximate time commitment: 3-5 hours per month. 25-45+ hours if new platform is selected and configured.
- Future: Integrate posting between channels, add self-service profile editing.